PANCAKE BABY FOOD RECIPE: HISTORY
1st Century AD
Romans eat sweet and savoury dishes of a meal called Alita Dolcia (Another Sweet) made from milk, flour, eggs and spices.
All across Europe meals recognisable as different forms of pancake are created by adding ingredients such as wheat, flour, buckwheat, or cornmeal to the ancient ingredients.
An early guide for creating specifically Dutch pancakes appears in De Verstandige Kock (The Sensible Cook) cookery book. Recipes provided for ‘common pancakes’ and ‘the best kind of pancake’ which include Sugar, Cloves, Cinnamon, Mace, and Nutmeg.
The traditional wedding breakfast in Friesland is pannenkoek with milk and honey, whilst in rural areas it is eaten to celebrate Kerstavond (Christmas Eve) and the new harvest.
PANCAKE BABY FOOD RECIPE: INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbs butter
PANCAKE BABY FOOD RECIPE: STEPS
- Stir the flour and sugar in a bowl together
- Drop the egg into the bowl and stir
- Slowly add the milk while mixing, until well combined
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, or use an electric skillet, and melt butter
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the pan, about 6 at a time
- When bubbles appear, flip the pancakes over
- Allow the other side to become light brown and remove from the skillet